Friday, May 3, 2013

Special Needs Parents Have Feelings Too

Our new early intervention journey is scheduled to be on its way today. Someone will be coming to go over paperwork today.  I know how thankful I should be that it is available to her. I know I should but it is so hard having people come in and out all the time. It makes me feel different, not normal.  Sometimes I just wish she could develop in her own time, do it at her own pace, not have to work so hard to do what other kids can do naturally.  It bothers me  a lot. I put on a brave face, an I can deal with it face.  Inside I am screaming to be normal, screaming to not have to deal with people staring, people asking questions about why she is so small, people asking "what is wrong with her?" Sometimes i just want to scream how unfair it is, how unfair that my sweet little girl has to endure people and their ignorance.  In case you are wondering, yes someone actually asked me what is wrong with her, my response to her was, "Nothing, what's wrong with you?"  People are always so shocked when I come back at them with a response like that.  People also think that parents of special needs kids can't hear or don't have any feelings or are not really people.  Because I CAN HEAR YOU if you are whispering something about my kid 2 feet in front of me. The best is the "Oh I don't know how you do it?"  Well what else should I do?  What else am I going to do?  She needs me to take care of her, she deserves love just like anyone else, and I am her mother and I love her with all my heart.

2 comments:

  1. The fact that you wouldn't make hurtful comments to another mother is probably the reason you are so shocked by it. Sadly, most people are wrapped up in themselves, with little or no thought for others.
    Sounds silly, but I am married to an Englishman who has an English accent. And yes - as you have encountered, upon hearing his accent, many people raise their voices and slow down their speech when speaking to him. My guess is they think having an accent affects his intelligence. We learned quickly to just ignore those people.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful family with me through your blog. It makes my day to see the love and happiness in each of your eyes in the photos that you post and to hear of the incredible strides that Leah is making. Her blossoming is clearly as a result of all the love and support from her parents and big brother. What an amazing example of what being a "family" truly means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your children are beautiful! Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete