Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Am What I Am and That's All That I Am


“Without knowing what I am and why I am here, life is impossible.” Leo Tolstoy

So when I went for my 6 week check up after having the baby, the doctor told me to still try and find the time to do the things I like to do and to remember who I am and not to lose that.  Of course this got me thinking who am I? I mean really besides mommy who am I, it is so true that when you have kids somehow who you are and what you love to do gets lost along the way, so I thought I would sit down and think about this question and make a list as long as I could of all things describing me. 

I love planning birthday parties for kids (and if I do say so myself, I am super good at it- I love the details, and I make everything, well almost everything- so far I have done my son's birthdays- Sesame Street, Farmyard, Pirates, Batman and Spongebob)
I like to play board games.(Scrabble, Monopoly, Jenga, Trivia etc)
I was born and raised in Bronx, NY (Everyone says I do not sound like it anymore- guess I have lost the need to say I'm goin to visit my motha and my fatha)
My pointer finger on my right hand has no ligaments so I can't point it (I know very exciting tidbit of information I just thought you needed to know)
I can play the recorder (About all I remember it "When the Saints Go Marching in" 
I was shelterd as a child (I didn't date until I was 21 need I say more)
I love watching my son grow into this wonderful person (He is so clever, funny and imaginative, sometimes I wish I could be more like him)
I go out of my way to make holidays, occassions and events special for everyone (I love making things for people-crafty things)
I love reading to my son (He loves this book called Zoomer and another one called Chester, very funny stuff)
I love going to Hershey Park (A place where everything is about the chocolate)

I love going to Cape May (I never knew the place existed until I met my husband, I told you I was sheltered)
am extremely thoughtful (I love going out of my way to do things for people)
I love going to Disney World (I have probably been there 25 times)
I long to have my own home (This probably will not ever happen, not in the cards for me)
I would love to open my own business (Crafty type)

I want to take photography classes (working on either taking classes or teaching myself)
I am usually not good at keeping in touch with people (I suck at calling people, I am better at email)
I love Reality TV (Real Houswives, Biggest Loser, Dancing with the Stars,)
When I was pregnant I craved oranges, melon, burritos and egg salad

I love to snuggle with my little girl 
I wear a size 9 shoe 
I love the beach 
I am an over achiever 
I am a homebody

I am impatient with myself but patient with others 
I am good at whatever I put my mind to 
I love to watch TLC(What Not to Wear,Say Yes to the Dress, 19 Kids and Counting, Little People Big World, The Little Couple, just to name a few) & The Food Network (Diners, Drive Ins and Dives is my fave)
I love to cook (but I make a huge mess)
I love amusement parks (I just like the atmosphere, the food, the rides, you know all of it)
I love pizza (salad pizza is my new fave)
I saw New Kids on the Block in concert twice when I was 12 (yes I will admit that)
I have been to a Josh Groban Concert by myself (When we went to Hershey one year he was playing there and I bought myself a ticket)
I love Josh Groban (so want to meet him one day)
I have bad memories about things that were supposed to be great times in my life and were not

I had the best wedding I have ever been to (and I'm not just saying that)
I love Juji Fruits

My family says I am too sensitive (I am but I am okay with that)
My greatest accomplishment are my kids (They are the best thing I have ever done with my life)
I would love to live in Manhattan (I went to college there and oh how I miss it)
I have had 2 csections (all traumatic in there own way)
I have taught K, 2nd, 4th and 5th grade (5th was my favorite)
I bite my nails (not anymore I quit cold turkey)
I didn't start dating until I was 21 (met my husband when I was 21 too) 

I have taken Zumba classes and loved it (It is an awsome workout)
I am an only child (after seeing my mother's family drama- I am glad I am the only one)
I would love to live in the south (Maybe North Carolina) 
I attended Catholic School for 13 years 
I have taken Belly Dancing Classes and loved it 
I love COFFEE (the smell, the taste yummm)

I love to bake (cookies mostly)
I love to read self help books (lose weight, exercise, be happy, do it all)
I am left handed (it sucks living in a right handed world)
I like white gold and silver jewelry (just a preference)
I love to surf the internet (self diagnosis, research, gifts I would love to receive)
I love crafts (scrapbooking etc)
I hate being around rude and obnoxious people  
I was born 2 months early and the doctors told my parents I wouldn't make it through the night. (here I am 34 years later.
I have a scar on my right foot from an IV they put in my foot as an infant (sadly I will never be a foot model)
I love traveling (I want to go on a cruise, I want to see Italy, Ireland and England and all 50 states) 
I had braces for 4 years 
I was teased a lot as a child (and I wonder why I still have body image issues- thanks)
I love taking pictures 
I love to eat in new places

I unplug appliances before I leave the house 
I am shy but I can be loud 

I am a great wife 
I am a great mommy 
I would have loved to have had 3 or 4 kids (but that dream is shattered)
I am unhappy with my current body and weight 
I would love to live on the beach or on a farm (which ever comes first)
I get upset easily 
I want to write a children's book 
I am creative 
I must wash my hair every day 
I am not a morning person 
I didn't get my driver's license until I was 21 
Friday nights are my favorite part of the week 
I love men with British accents 
I have made my own bread 
Fall is my favorite season 
I am clumsy 
I have no sense of direction 
I worry ALOT

I earned my Masters Degree while I was 9 months pregnant with my son
I love a good bargain 
I love to shop 
I cry too easily 
I like being alone 
I hate being late 
I love to swim 
I would do anything for a friend 
I would do anything for my family 
I love being a stay at home mom

I HATE when people ask me if I am going back to teaching or when I am going back to work. (I'm not so DON'T ASK)
I am quiet and shy and often come across as bitchy but I am really not.
I wish I was more active.

Wow that was a lot and that was hard, I guess we have to know who we are in life, know what makes us tick, know who we are in order to know who we are going to become, there are so many other things I want to do in my life, there is no time like the present. Next list I work on will be a list of all the things I want to accomplish.



1 comment:

  1. Loved to learn so much about YOU!!!
    I have to say if you were around this area we would REALLY be best friends..so many things in common!!!
    Beth, I had to laugh about coming across as bitchy because of being quiet. The story with meeting my husband includes AFTER meeting at a party and our mutual friend told HIM I wanted to go out with him (which I never said...but he told ME Rick had said that too!!)...when Rick asked which girl (because my best friend had been at party too). our friend said "the blonde"...Rick responded..."oh, she was such a bitch when I met her"...because I'm very shy and quiet...except around my friends!!!

    ReplyDelete