Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Project 365 Days 82-87 What they Didn't tell me!

What they didn't tell me about Down Syndrome, was that my daughter
-was going to look like me, look like my son, and my husband
-that she would love Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches and Spaghetti
-that she would be sassy
-that she would have a strong personality
-that she would love to make me laugh and smile
-that she would love Mickey Mouse
-that she would learn to walk
-that she would learn to talk
-that things would eventually be "normal"
-that instead of getting to know her diagnosis I would start to get to know her
-that I wouldn't  be able to imagine my life without her
-that her smile would melt my heart each and every day

Do you know what I wish?

I wish that I could be someone who could visit mom's who have just given birth to a baby with Down Syndrome so that I could show them Leah, so that I could show them it's going to be really hard in the beginning.  But one day you are going to wake up and Down Syndrome won't matter.  Down Syndrome will not define your child, Down Syndrome will be something you have to deal with, yes, but it gets so much easier.
I wish I could tell the parents that are crying that it is going to be okay, I wish I could hug them and say you are going to be fine, your baby is going to be fine.  You can do this, you will do this, you will be okay.

I wish I had that when I found out my daughter's diagnosis,  I wish there had been more positivity, I wish that someone hugged me and told me that it is going to be okay.

I thank God that she is here, I thank God that she is a part of our lives now and she makes our family complete.  Maybe someday I will make my dream come true and be able to talk to other moms and let them know that it is all going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment